By Alena Shea
As a Boise State University alum, my absolute favorite time of the year is just around the corner. That’s right folks, it’s time for college football! As the boys of fall (shout out to Kenny Chesney fans!) get ready for their upcoming season, it’s time for us fans to brainstorm ideas for tailgating and home parties.
After throwing around various snack ideas with my fiancé (who is much more talented in the kitchen than I am – yeah, I’m lucky like that) for the BSU vs. Michigan State game we’re hosting, it hit me: chocolate covered marshmallows. How do I make this football themed you may ask? With COLORED sugar for our college football inspired theme of course!
Now, I don’t consider myself crafty by any means and I envy those of you out there with Martha Stewart-like talent. This is where the simplicity of Velata comes in to save my less-than-crafty-self.
What you’ll need:
- A Velata Warmer
- Velata Premium Belgian Chocolate of your choice: I went with the white chocolate so the colored sugar would really pop
- Colored sugar and/or sprinkles: I used smaller decorative sprinkles and larger sugar crystals in blue and orange for some Boise State pride
- Bowls for the sugar and/or sprinkles for dipping
- Marshmallows: I chose two sizes for variety, jumbo and regular size
- Some sort of lidded container to keep your marshmallows fresh until guests arrive – or to take on the go for a tailgating party
Step One: Melt the Velata chocolate of your choice
Step Two: Prepare your marshmallows for Velata dipping and then go for it! Note: covering the entire marshmallow is pretty messy. I just went for a dip and swirl on the top of the marshmallow the majority of the time, but it’s personal preference, so have at it!
Step Three: Once you have dipped your marshmallow in the Velata Premium Belgian Chocolate, head straight for the colored sugar. Make sure you don’t let the chocolate cool, otherwise the sugar won’t stick.
Step Four: Enjoy! And go Broncos!
This is also very easy to set up as a “marshmallow dipping bar” for a home party – football themed or not. Simply melt Velata Premium Belgian Chocolate, set out bowls of different colored sugar, coconut flakes, nuts, sprinkles – the topping options are endless – along with some fresh marshmallows and you’re all set!