It’s the holiday season! A time of year filled with powerful memories and emotions shared between family and friends. We often reflect on years past as the holidays approach, reminiscing about the warmth and intimacy associated with the season. But once the holidays arrive, we may have some questions. Questions like: “How cold is it?” or “What time does the sun set?” or “Will my presents make it in time?”
Winter is traditionally a difficult time for many people. Shorter days mixed with cold weather can make it hard to find time to do anything. On top of that, everything seems to be moving impossibly fast. With only a month left in the year, it seems like we don’t have enough time to actually enjoy the holidays.
It’s a cycle repeated year after year. We arrive at the season full of excitement and by the time it’s over, we’re exhausted. We hibernate through the rest of winter, waiting for spring. And by the time summer rolls around, we’re already looking forward to the holidays once again despite our previous frustrations. But these festivities may be just what we need!
Imagine the alternative where winter cold was all we had to look forward to. Wouldn’t you want something to be excited about? An event to reminisce about with family and friends is the perfect solution to a time many of us would normally struggle. This is exactly what makes the holidays and their traditions so important. That means finding time to make these memories is just as important. Holiday traditions are just as varied as the people who participate, and we hope you celebrate in your own unique way. But if you’re lacking inspiration, try starting with something small.
Holiday tradition ideas
- Thorn, blossom and bud: We covered this tradition and others in our “Five Thanksgiving activities (that aren’t watching football)” blog, which is a great place to start when searching for a new holiday tradition.
- Gingerbread houses: A classic holiday tradition! Whether you purchase a gingerbread making kit from the store or make all of your materials from scratch, find what fits into your schedule and enjoy the sweet treats after!
- DIY ornaments: There are plenty of easy-to-make ornaments you can hang from your tree! It’s easy to find instructions online with a quick search. (We might also have some on the Scentsy Blog in the next few weeks, so check back soon!)
- 12 days of Christmas: Make the whole month special by celebrating for the days leading up to Christmas. Find small but special gifts to give for the 12 days of Christmas (we recommend not taking inspiration from the song).
- Advent calendar: Another classic tradition that can make the days leading up to Christmas feel magical. You can find many premade calendars at a variety of stores that are the perfect gifts, or you could use them as inspiration to make your own!
- Holiday baking: Every family and their traditions are different, but if there’s one thing the holidays are known for across the board, it’s food! Get together and make something you’ll enjoy, whether it’s a pumpkin roll, biscuits or even cookies for Santa!
- Mistletoe: If you’re looking to invite a bit of romance into your holidays, you can’t go wrong with this tradition.
Creating impactful memories is something we’re passionate about at Scentsy. Scent and memory are closely linked, so having an impactful fragrance going while spending time together is a great way to help make those connections. Find fragrances that complement your holiday traditions in our Fall/Winter Catalog or our 2023 Holiday Collection.
Let us know what your favorite holiday traditions are in the comments!