If you’ve been looking for a reason to indulge your sweet tooth, you’re in luck. July 9 is National Sugar Cookie Day, a celebration of the simple, delectable treats we know and love. So, whether you’re a professional baker or just learning your way around the kitchen, there’s never been a better time to break out the mixing bowl and whip up some magic!
While there are many ways to prepare these treats, this recipe is one of our favorites. Its secret: Use just a touch of brown sugar to ensure your cookies will remain soft and scrumptious even days after they’ve baked. That way, you don’t have to feel pressured to eat them all in one sitting — or you could always make a double batch!
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Use a large mixer on medium speed to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until dough is well combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls. Roll balls through additional sugar. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Add some decoration — and some fun
Whether you’re baking for friends or family, you can get everyone involved by throwing a cookie decorating party. Even if your kiddos are too young to be around a hot oven, chances are they can help frost and sprinkle these treats! Sugar cookies make it easy to give kids their first lessons in the kitchen. It’s no wonder the sweet smell of this classic dessert is nostalgic for so many of us.
If you crave the light, buttery scent of fresh-baked cookies, but don’t feel like firing up the oven, we’ve got you covered. Our Sugar Cookie fragrance captures this sweet yet elegant aroma, from alluring notes of sugar and butter, to the lingering comfort of creamy vanilla.
What’s your favorite cookie? Let us know below!
Be sure to reach out to your Scentsy Consultant to learn about all our bakery-inspired fragrances. Don’t have a Consultant? Find one here.