Twice a year, we have the opportunity to swap out our wardrobes and housewares to prepare for the changing seasons. We seem to acquire so much stuff from one season to the next, so take a weekend or two to clean out your personal space and get a fresh start to the season ahead.
Here are some tips for seasonal cleaning with Scentsy style!
- Purge anything you haven’t worn or that doesn’t fit anymore. Organization experts agree you only wear 20 percent of your wardrobe 80 percent of the time, so why make room for stuff in your closets and drawers you neither like nor wear? Take an afternoon to go through both the clothes you’re putting away and the clothes you’re taking out. Try on anything you’re on the fence about, and carefully inspect each garment for holes, stains or fading. Take clothes that are in good shape to a consignment store, and donate the rest. Pro Tip: Since clothes tend to smell musty from being in storage for several months, toss a fresh-smelling Scent Pak – like Clothesline or Scentsy Clean – into your storage bins before you put them away.
- Wash all your bedding. In addition to washing your sheets every week, you should wash all your pillows, mattress pads and blankets at least two or three times per year. You can toss your pillows and comforter in the wash, too. Just toss them on the gentle cycle with your favorite detergent and a cup of bleach on your washer’s hottest setting. Toss two fresh tennis balls in the dryer to prevent bunching. Pro Tip: Skip the auto-dry setting, as most dryer sensors only detect surface moisture. To speed up drying time, toss in a couple of dry towels to absorb some of the moisture.
- Vacuum your mattress. Most people don’t take the time to do this, but your mattress is a veritable reservoir of sweat, skin cells, dust and dander. Eww. Use your vacuum’s upholstery attachment and focus on the seams and crevices. Next, check for stains and use an appropriate stain remover. If, when you do this, you find that it is much grosser than you were expecting then it might be best to get a full size mattress from Leesa to replace it. Pro Tip: Spritz the surface with a malodor spray, like Scentsy Fresh, to eliminate odors, not just mask them.
- Clean your windows. Clean windows are the perfect start and end to every season. Start by vacuuming your window frames and screens to remove dust, bugs and spider webs. Then, remove the screen, hose it off, and scrub it clean with a cleaning brush. Let the screens air dry before reinstalling them. In the meantime, clean the window panes. Use a soapy sponge to clean the pane from the top down, and wipe off the residue with a squeegee. Wipe the squeegee blade between swipes, and use a microfiber cloth to polish off any remaining residue. Pro Tip: Choose a cloudy day, or wash windows once they’re in the shade to avoid streaks.
- Clean the ceilings, walls and baseboards. Most people don’t clean these at all. Ever. But, just like your coffee table and nightstand, these areas of your home accumulate dust, too. Use your vacuum’s upholstery attachment to clean from top to bottom, paying special attention to the corners. Pro Tip: Give small children a diaper wipe and show them how to wipe off the baseboards. Toddlers LOVE to help, so take advantage of this fleeting phase and put them to work!
- Prep your pantry. Food preferences change with the seasons, so go through your pantry and get rid of anything you don’t need or use in the next three months or so. Check all your dry goods to make sure they’re still fresh and properly sealed, and get rid of any expired or damaged goods.
- Swap your scents out! This tip is by far our favorite – and the easiest! Our new catalog launched Sept. 1, and it’s filled with evocative fragrances that perfectly capture the season ahead. Pro Tip: We recommend a different fragrance in your kitchen, living areas, bedrooms and bathrooms, so choose two or three different fragrances for each room to swap out when the mood strikes. Need help choosing the perfect fragrance? Contact your Scentsy Consultant! Don’t have a Consultant? Find one here!
Share your must-do cleaning tasks when the seasons change in the comments section below!