Why we use synthetics in Scentsy Bars
We’re all drawn to different fragrances, some find they like floral or fresh scents, others find they enjoy something else, we are all different. Our tastes are impacted by the lives we’ve lived and the memories we’ve made. Scent has the power to tie our emotions back to all kinds of special moments:
- Do you get teary-eyed every time you smell fresh-cut grass because it reminds you of your dad?
- Are you instantly happy when you smell the crisp ocean air? Hello, summer vacation!
- Or maybe you HATE the beach and the scent of the ocean makes you not happy at all.
It’s always interesting to witness an extreme reaction to fragrance, good or bad!
Each season at Scentsy, we offer more than 80 fragrance varieties in our Scentsy Bars and on-the-go products because we get it. We want you to express your uniqueness and fill your home with scents that make you smile — and you need options to be able to do that.
Plus, we LOVE fragrance — especially when it comes to designing scents that connect you to your memories!
So what exactly do we put in our fragrances to make them spark such emotion and connection?
Here’s the short answer: In addition to many natural fragrant oils, we also use synthetic ingredients because you just can’t simulate EVERY natural fragrance naturally.
Do you love the scent of crisp ocean air or a summer thunderstorm? We do, too! But it’s impossible to deliver that exact fragrance without a few synthetic ingredients. Think about it: How would you harvest, bottle and sell all-natural, bona-fide fresh air?
Still scratching your head? Here’s more:
- Perfumers from around the world select from THOUSANDS of different natural and synthetic ingredients to create unique fragrance formulas.
- Most scents are made up of a mixture of natural and synthetic fragrance oils.
- Without synthetic ingredients, our options would be very limited! (Unless we were OK with mass deforestation or the unrestrained use of our natural resources.)
- All-natural ingredients often come with a higher price tag — that’s why pure essential oils are more expensive and vary widely by oil type. To maintain a steady price point for Scentsy Bars and our other core fragrance products, we incorporate synthetics.
- All-natural fragrance oils aren’t BETTER than the fragrance oils we use in Scentsy Bars, they’re just different. All Scentsy products are SAFE when used appropriately. (Meaning: Don’t EAT a Scentsy Bar just because it smells like yummy cinnamon rolls!)
- Scentsy fragrance products are specially formulated and tested to comply with EPA regulations, the International Fragrance Association’s Code of Practice and the California Air Resources Board regulations, all of which restrict the use of fragrance ingredients that pose a risk to consumer health or the environment. Learn more here.
Still looking for an all-natural fragrance experience?
We’ve got you covered. In 2015, we launched an incredible line of Scentsy Oils, comprised of globally sourced ingredients chosen for the beauty of their fragrances. We have three types:
- Essential Oils are steam distilled from the most fragrant botanicals and offer a pure, singular fragrance.
- Essential Oil Blends are a bit more complex, made up of pure essential oils layered together.
- 100% Natural Oils are most similar to the multidimensional Scentsy Bar fragrances you love, but all-natural.