From wicked candles to Scentsy Bars, scented wax uses heat to release molecules from fragrance oils. This process can make some people worried about other materials being released into the air, such as byproducts of the wax itself. Is Scentsy safe to breathe? In short, yes — the paraffin wax in Scentsy Bars is a safe, effective way to enjoy quality fragrances at home. To understand why, we have to delve a little deeper into the science of melting wax:
Paraffin wax does not evaporate easily
Multiple scientific studies have shown that the heat used to release fragrance molecules is far less than the temperatures needed to evaporate harmful levels of paraffin wax. As this 2014 investigation published in the Journal of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology concluded, “Under normal conditions of use, scented candles do not pose known health risks to the consumer.”
Paraffin wax makes Scentsy Bars safer
While hard to evaporate, paraffin wax has a low melting point, which means it doesn’t need the scorching heat from the flame of a traditional candle to release great fragrance. That’s why Scentsy Warmers can use low-wattage light bulbs or heating elements to warm wax, rather than rely on dangerous open flames. To learn more about how Scentsy products are safe, check out this post!
Enjoy scents longer thanks to paraffin wax
It may not take a lot of heat to begin melting paraffin wax, but the process takes time — allowing you to enjoy every bit of your favorite scents. Low and slow is the name of the game when it comes to high-quality fragrance!
Thanks to paraffin wax’s high resistance to evaporation, low melting point and low melt rate, it’s an ideal ingredient for Scentsy Bars. Understanding the science behind melting wax is how we provide the safe, high-quality fragrance experience that Scentsy fans around the world know and love. Want to know more about how Scentsy Bars are made? Click here!